Monday, August 10, 2009

Peace On Earth?

At the end of almost every Unity service the song, "Let There be Peace on Earth" is sung. Some people see it as a nice idea but unrealistic in practice. Others have tried to make it happen but gave up after much work and a lot of futile effort. A few active folks are still out there talking about peace, peace peace but are only seeing disharmony and a lack of peace in the world. The second part of the song says, "Let it begin with me" and that is the real answer. Peace in the world has to start within me. If I am not a peace filled person then whatever I do comes from a non-peaceful place.



So my first job is to make peace with myself and all I am or think that I am. Peace is a resonance that already exists as a calm spot in the center of our being. Peace is not really created as much as it is allowed. If I am continually arguing with people about becoming peaceful than I am not really at peace. For instance, I know people who are anti-war and have chosen to be that way pretty much for the right reasons. They can give you all the statistics about why there should not be war in the world and would be right. I also believe it would be great if we as a society could move beyond having to war and fight in the world. But, trying to combat war does not help the world very much and can actually polarize people.



Once you say I am against something there will be someone who will stand up and say that they are for it. In that moment you have just created an opponent and you may have opened the door for someone who was not very vocal to become an activist against your desire for a peaceful. world!



You might say, "well then what is the use in standing against anything" and I would say, "don't be against anything, be for something"! Maybe, there is another way to approach the peace process that can really make a difference and reduce the need for war in the world. Peace is a result of being at peace with yourself, your family, your neighbor, your community and so on. We must first embrace the unhealed parts of ourselves that are unacknowledged and hidden from our awareness. The unhealed parts of me can become a projection onto those outside of me and make them our enemies. They become the scapegoat for our lack of inner harmony and wholeness that is being suppressed. I invite you to become an inner activist who watches your thoughts like a hawk so that you are not taken over by mental warring and strife.





This is how peace on earth begins with me, and you!




Peace,


James


No comments:

Post a Comment